What Is Massage Therapy?
Massage is one of our oldest forms of healing therapies. It has enjoyed quite a resurgence in recent years. What is massage therapy and why has this ancient form of alternative healing become so popular?
A Definition of Massage Therapy
Massage therapy is the therapeutic manipulation of the soft tissue of the body, including the muscles, skin, tendons, ligaments and fascia (connective tissue).
What’s So Great About Massage?
Massage feels wonderful and provides essential human touch we all crave. We are a touch deprived, high paced, stressed out society here in the United States. Many people have no idea just how wound up and full of tension their bodies have become. Not to mention how much it impacts their physical and emotional health.
Getting a massage allows you to take a break from your logical brain and get back in touch with your body and your feelings. Massage is an intimate experience. You are entrusting your (usually) naked body to a compassionate stranger. A good massage therapist can be a wonderful conduit to health.
People and animals, such as horses and dogs, receive massage therapy to:
- Promote relaxation and relieve stress
- Relieve muscle tension and spasm
- Release constrictions in connective tissue and scars
- Facilitate physical and emotional healing and well-being
- Increase blood and lymph circulation
- Improve postural alignment
- Increase flexibility and joint function
- Enhance athletic performance and recovery after sporting events
- Promote recovery from surgery and injuries
- Ease the effects of cancer treatment
- Ease headaches, insomnia, back and neck pain
- Ease the effects of numerous conditions such as arthritis, fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome
- Emotional release
- Receive essential human touch
- More physical and emotional health benefits of massage therapy
What Techniques Are Used By Massage Therapists?
Massage Therapists use a wide variety of massage techniques including various strokes, kneading, friction, tapping, compression, stretching and applying pressure to trigger points or acupressure points.
Some types of massage therapy or bodywork also deal with re-patterning movement or with energy healing.
Hot or cold stones, hot compresses, herbal compresses, aromatherapy, hydrotherapy and other techniques may also be applied. See What To Expect on Your First Massage to get a better idea of what it is like to get a massage.
What Is Massage Therapy To You?
For me, massage therapy is powerful tool to build abundant health and happiness. Please leave me a comment below or come over to my Facebook page and share your ideas!